Booking terms and conditions

It is important that you take note of our booking conditions. When you book a room at Asa hostel, you enter into an agreement where you accept to pay for your upcoming stay at the hostel. The payment of the booking fee takes place in connection with the booking. The booking fee is 25% of the rent and the remaining 75% is paid in connection with the stay here.

Your booking is complete when the booking fee has gone through and you have received confirmation of booking from us.

Booking of the entire hostel can be done well in advance. Single room bookings can be booked up to three months in advance from the booking date.

The booking conditions apply between the booking guest and Asa Vandrarhem. Responsible organizer is Asa Vandrarhem, 363 94 Lammhult. Telephone: 070-853 92 99. Organization number: 559199-8462.

Check-in time is normally from 17:30 unless otherwise agreed.
Write in the booking message if you wish to check in earlier and we will let you know if this is possible.

Check-out time is no later than 11:00 a.m. unless otherwise agreed.
For bookings for larger groups and the entire hostel, please contact us via email for agreements and best conditions.

Cancellation terms:
The booking fee paid is not refunded in the event of cancellation.
Change of arrival or departure date counts as cancellation unless otherwise agreed.


Responsibilities of the guest:
In order to book a room with us, you must be 18 years old. We need your name and contact details so we can reach you. Identification takes place on arrival. Your booking is binding when payment of the booking fee has gone through and you have received confirmation of booking from us.

When staying at Asa hostel, the guest is responsible for respecting common areas and showing consideration for other residents of the hostel.

The guest may not let more people stay overnight in the room than what was stated at the time of booking. All guests must be stated when booking.

The guest must check the booking confirmation and report any inaccuracies immediately.

If the guest has a complaint about the room or otherwise at the hostel, we are grateful if you directly contact the host of the hostel so that we can resolve any ambiguities or problems.

When booking, any allergies must be stated so that we can offer the right room.

The guest must clean before departure unless otherwise agreed, it is fine to buy for final cleaning if desired. If cleaning is not done, the guest can be charged SEK 500.

Asa Hostel's obligations:
Asa hostel is responsible for ensuring that the guest receives written confirmation of their booking and that the guest has access to their room at the time booked.

If changes occur or something important regarding the guest's stay at the hostel occurs, the guest must be notified in good time.